Satellite Calculator ImageFinally, there is an update to the Sky/Freesat alignment calculator which helped you so far installing or setting up your satellite dish. Not only can you now enter your address, postcode, city or geocode for any location on earth but you can also choose the satellite you wish to point to, making this version of the satellite alignment calculator a global tool (you can now use it in e.g. Spain, France, USA to find Hotbird, Astra 1, DirecTV etc.)

But the coolest thing is that it will show you on a close-up satellite image on which wall to fix your satellite dish and where to point it! Just try it out!

For the UK, only the first part of the postcode is considered, the second part disregarded. So don’t be suprised when the marker is a few miles away from your home. But you can click and drag the marker.

Satellite:

International location: e.g. streetname, postcode, geocode:

Your Location Satellite Data Dish Setup Data
Latitude:
Longitude:
Name:
Distance:
Elevation:
Azimuth:
LNB Skew:

Elevation is measured from the horizon upwards. If it gives a negative value then the satellite is below the horizon, i.e. it’s physically not possible to receive that satellite.
Azimuth is positive clockwise and measured from True North. If (and only when) using a compass, you will need to adjust the azimuth by the magnetic variation for your location.
LNB skew is positve anti-clockwise when facing the dish and is a theoretical value, in practice it may differ (e.g. for Sky UK add 7.5°).

I’ve tested the virtual satellite image alignment on a few real installations and must say that the accuracy is amazing.

Here’s how to use it:
Choose a satellite (default is Sky UK), enter your location and hit go. If it has found your location correctly, zoom in closer and then switch to the satellite map view. Then click and drag the icon where you want to install your dish. The blue line will show you the direction in which you need to point the dish.

You will need a fast internet connection such as T1, ADSL, cable broadband or satellite broadband as the tool downloads about 1MB of satellite images. I’d recommend a minimum download speed of 1Mbps. If you don’t have broadband and are on a dial-up, you can still use the old calculator.

Update 21.08.07: I’ve added the elevation and LNB skew calculation results just underneath the map. These are calculated and displayed in real time as soon as you move the marker or change the satellite. The old calculator should be really obsolete now.

Update 05.09.07: Within two weeks, the calculator has been used about 40,000 times making this one of the fastest growing satellite tools ever. That’s why I decided to place the calculator on a single, separate site called www.dishpointer.com. The calculator will be available on both sites with the same versions (I’m going to keep only Dishpointer.com up-to-date) but I believe the dishpointer.com site will be more suitable for non-UK visitors. There will be also various language versions of this tool on the dishpointer.com site, so if you feel you could help me out with translating a few lines of text into any language, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

If you don’t speak another language but still want to contribute, then please spread the word, buy from the partner-shops or make a small donation (see paypal button on the right – remember, calling a Sky installer to re-align a dish costs £70, and no amount is too small to be donated here).

Update: Latest version with many new features on www.dishpointer.com

197 Responses to “Satellite Dish Alignment / Setup Calculator 2.0”

1. Miryam says:

Cool, now I have at least a vague idea how to direct my dish. Thanx

2. Portable Satellite Dish says:

Hello Allan,

Thank you for update Sky/Freesat alignment calculator. Very appreciate this!

3. Anil says:

Hello Allan, Its a great website and thanks for that. I have one question, i live in liverpool,uk and wanted to get the satellite NSS 6 which is 95E to get the indian dish tv, when checked my location the dish setup data coming up as
    Elevation:-13.2°
    Azimuth (true): 263.6°
    Azimuth (magn.): 266.7°
    LNB skew: -36.3°
    So, is there anyway for me to connect to this even with a use of big dish. coz i have seen on top you saying, if its negative elevation its not possible to connect. If not are there any other satellites which will broadcast indian channels, if you know of any, Thank you.

4. Any Sky engineers / experts in the house? - MBClub UK Forums says:

[…] settings for your location using google maps -read the instructions carefully how to use it.. UKSatelliteHelp.co.uk – Satellite Dish Alignment / Setup Calculator 2.0 __________________ Cheers Graeme E220 COUPE auto 96 Last of the Ol […]

5. Brian says:

Hello, I work on a yacht. Usually we use 13E where we pick up movie channels, sky sports etc, our boxes were purchased in Italy and we have Italian sky cards. However I have tried 28E and the sky boxes will not pick up any channels, I cannot even get into the different menus and cannot rx even freeview channels. Our normal recievers can pick up channels no problem eg ITV etc so I know I have a good signal. Does anyone know if it is possible to use these sky boxes on 28E, if so how?
    Many Thanks,

6. Medyum says:

Some time ago, I really needed to buy a house for my organization but I did not earn enough cash and could not order anything. Thank God my mother proposed to get the home loans from reliable creditors. Hence, I acted that and used to be happy with my sba loan.

7. Mark says:

Wasted several hours trying to align a cheap dish from Maplin. Eventually gave up and in desperation trawled the internet for info. Came across this site and spent 5 mins visually aligning the dish as per instructions with elevation set near vertical (as advised by a previous post). To my amazement got 90% signal strength without even putting a meter on! Fine tuned and all sorted within 15 min. OK some luck I dare say but certainly an invaluable tool. Many thanks.

8. Jim Dixon says:

I have great difficulty in finding a station on my manual 85cm Sky Dish, it is mounted on the roof of a 9m Frankia. There is a Sat Finder DSF80 for sale at £178.95. Would this be the best solution for my problem, or is there something better? In 5 years I have only been able to watch 3 hours of television. I do’nt even bother to try any longer.
    Yours interested,
    Jim Dixon

Jim:
    What channels are you trying to see?
    Are you pointing the dish at the correct satellite for the chanels you want?
    A saffinder like the oneyou say is more of ainstallers / frequency users meter – is it really worth it? you can get “beeper” units for much less – about £10.
    Have you checked the LNB?
    Have you check the cable connections?

10. Bez says:

Hi
    I need help and advice
    I bought a 110 cm dish with two twin LNB. now I have a great difficulty to assemble it and connect them to my TVs with free sat
    Any boy can help or any web site
    Bez

11. juan k says:

hi i’ve installed my dish in london pointing to hotbird which i get quite well but for some reason dont get signal for the austrian/german/swiss channles I used to get, i get instead mostly Dutch channels, with very clear reception . After blind scan, the same thing
    any ideas?
    thanks,
    jc

12. Alan says:

I think you hit 23.5E

juan – are you sure you are on Hotbird and not Astra? Or are the channel you want on Astra and not hotbird?

14. advice on how to align my dish says:

[…] this link start at 1w http://www.uksatellitehelp.co.uk/2007/08/12/satellite-alignment-calculator-v2/ __________________ TM 5400 ci+ 90cm dish […]

15. Ian Gadgetwidget says:

New to the satelite game. Wife and I purchased the Tevion satelite kit as a starter, not wanting to splash out a small forune and not willing to fork out my dosh to Sky.

Also growing tired of the continual problems we have with the freeview digital broadcasting down here which despite being the first region in the UK to go digital and switch off the analogue transmissions the signal is poor, poor,poor.
    This is despite being in direct line of sight to the Redruth transmitter mast with no obstacles between our antenna and the mast.

So what do I get with the satelite kit? A well written beginers guide to setting uo the dish and together with Dishpointer.com I have so far found it impossible to get anything greater than 33% quality on the signal from the Astra 28.2 A satelite.

I wouldn’t mind if there were any obstacles in the line of sight alignment of the dish but it eludes me. To make matters worse and frustrating to the point of smashing the dammn thing to bits is that when on top my ladder one looks from behind my dish across the flattest land there is in Cornwall out to Goonhilly Earth Station just three miles away. Does that place ring any bells with anyone for any reason? Yes bleeding satelite receiving station on y doorstep and I get didly squat. So what am I doing wrong?

Not all receivers perform the same (Think Ferrari vs Skoda!)
    Some receivers may show 100% signal, other may show lower.
    So saying you are only getting 33% means nothing to many people, unless there is someone close to you with the exact same system as you.
    Its all down to the sensitivity of the tuner inside the receiver.
    Also make sure the skew of the LNB is correct and accurate, this is important and may help.
    And amke sure your cabling is good the connections are done well.
    It may be easier to see what channels are you getting, or not getting?
    Are you getting all the main UK channels?

17. Edwin says:

Hi there. I live here in Ireland but has a vacation house in the Philippines. I wander if the 1 meter satellite dish with astra and hotbird(dual) LNB with humax receiver that can be purchased in Maplin here in Ireland will work in the PHilippines. please help. Thanks…

I dont think ANY satellite dish you can buy will allow reception of astra and hotbird in the phillipines – as the satellites footprints are aimed towards europe, and not the phillipines. And even then the phillipines are in the southern hemisphere and half way around the world, then due to the earths curvature you may not be able to even see the satellites.
    If you did, them perhaps you would be looking at a 10m dish! There is a story online about a German man living in Brazil, who, with his home made 8m dish just about gets the astra analogue channels, and the digital channels are just coming through!

19. edwin says:

satandpcguy: thanks for your help. I went to lyingsat which says that Philippines is covered with HOTBIRD 6 satellite as that european satellite is close to asia. I went to Maplin electronics store here in Ireland but they only sell HOTBIRD. I wander if where can i possibly buy that LNB monoblock with HOTBIRD 6 coverage. Please hel.. thanks

From Lyngsat, hotbird 6 signal footprint only covers Europe and not asia.
    Although the satellite may be “close” to aisia along the equator where it is in orbit, its signal will depend on where its “beams” are pointing, in this case Europe.

21. edwin says:

satanpcguy:thanks for that… I actually heard from a fellow who purchased a tv dish in Saudi Arabia with receiver connected with hotbird 6 satellite, he brought it to the Philippines and it worked as he said. He received thausand of european channels so, I was thinking, if I can buy that tv dish with hotbird 6 here in europe, I’m sure it should work but as you said there, europe only sells tv LNB’s that only covers europe.

According to all the maps (both officail and unofficial recption reports), hotbird 6’s footprint does not reach India, so it definately will not reach Philippines, and it only just covers most of Saudi Arabia (some 1.8 and 2,4m dishes report sporadic reception), and Hotbird 6 carries 618 channels, of which 400 are FTA, and so I have no idea how your friend is getting “thausand of european channels” via Hotbird 6 in the Philippines. So unfortunatley I cannot help you any more, but would certainly like to hear more about what size dish your friend is using.

23. edwin says:

satandpcguy: thanks for the info. I was convinced with what you’ve been saying there however, if that will be the case. I would be better off buying an FTA dish, LNB and a receiver in America. I saw in lyngsat and with their website that intersat(american satellite covers western countries) and that satellite for sure has an asian footprint since Philippines is just beside Hawaii in America, what would you think?.. thanks

Depends which of the many satellites you mean. and satellites have different beams that can point in different directions – so the channels you think you will get may be on a beam you cannot receive

25. J Quirk says:

Can you advise me if another person is allowed to link up to my satellite dish from their home if they do not have a dish themselves.
    Many thanks

J Quirk: Why not, as long as they have your permission to do so.
    I have heard of some Sky installers in the UK hooking up to a neighbours dish withut permission!

27. edwin says:

Hi satanduy. I bought a tv satellite dish with receiver from maplin here in Dublin. I installed it but the LNB broked so I went to buy another dual LNB from maplin with a brand name called NIKKAI. I was able to get almost a thausand channels around the world but no english channels. I’ve got ASTRA 2A, B and C but those aren’t english channels, all are arabic, french, Italian, spanish etch. I wanted to get the UK channel but nothing comingup into my receiver. I’m sure I got the right satellite but din’t work for english channels. I wander perhaps it is because of the LNB that I’ve got is not linked to english channels.. I do appreciate much if you can help me with this. Thanks

Hi,
    If you are getting “almost a thausand channels around the world but no english channels” then you are actually on either Astra 1 at 18 east or Hotbird at 132 east – ie you are on the wrong satellite!

Just because there are channels loaded on the receiver under Astra 2a,2b,2c, this does not mean you are on those satellites – especially as 2c has not been in that location for a few years now! The receiver is just loading the channels intot he receiver list you asked it to.

You need to move the dish (from looking behind) to the left and down a bit!
    Use http://www.dishpointer.com or the tool at the top of this page for more help.

29. edwin says:

satandpcguy: I bought a NIKKAI motor and attached it to my Forstar 60mm dish and had it installed. Itwas perfectly working alright.. I ‘ve got 6 different satellites as my motor moves to different directions but still I can’t get ASTRA 2 that covers english broadcasts. When I tried tracking astra 2, my receiver keep on restarting. any chance you could help me with this?.. Thanks

Like I said before, if you have got “foreign” channels on the channel lists for “Astra 2a,2b,2d” then your receiver is not set up correctly, or your dish is not finding the satellite correctly.
    The channels you currently have on “Astra 2a,2b,2d” sound like they are channels actually from “Astra 1”.
    So set up the frequency12207 on your rec4iverm and manually move the dish eastwards by 9 degrees and then the UK 12207 hsould kick in, then scan 12207, and hopefully you will see Sky News. Save that position, then Scan all the frequencies on Astra 2 and then you should get all UK channels.
    If your dish / motor is always picking up the wrong satellites, then they both may need to be reset.

31. ouafi says:

i m looking for a box or receiver which can work for foreign channals ASTRA or HOTBIRD without satelette dish if it,s possible
    thanks

Hi,
    I do not think you can get the Astra or Hotbird satellite channels from the satellites without a satellite dish, as you must have a dish to physically receive the signals!
    The only other way is to find an online stream of them…somewhere….

33. Blonde says:

Please could you tell me the name of the free sat satilite and why is it that i can get a signal strenght is abot 80 % But no quality! Thanks

The same four satellites are used by Sky and Fresat receivers for UK TV.
    There are no seperate “freesat satellites” or “sky satellites”
    Neither Freesat or Sky own the satellites.
    The channels themselves rent space / frequencies from the satellites owners.
    The 4 satellites are Astra 2a, Astra 2b, Astra 2d and Eurobird 1.
    Located at 28.2 to 28.5 degrees east of south.

As for 80% strength and no quality could be a number of things: dish is not on the right satellite for the measurement screen, LNB skew is not good, poor cableing, poor LNB, poor connections, bad receiver, the signal is measuing a defunct frequency, weather conditins are hampering reception of that particular frequency…to help more, i would need to have an idea of your location, dish size, receiver, which satellite you are trying to get, etc

35. chaib says:

could u plse tell if there is freesat receiver HD without a dish to receive channels of hotbird and astra.if so what is the best receiver.or it is a must to have dish to receive the worldwide channels
    thanks

chaib: You MUST have a satellite dish to receive channels from Astra1 or Hotbird – you cannot receive satellite TV channels direct from the satellite without a satellite dish!
    A Freesat receiver may work, but it may be better to get a “generic” HD receiver – there are many, Ariva, Technomate, Golden Interstars.

The Freesat Humax HD receiver is a standard Humax HD receiver, with “bespoke” Freesat software.

37. Dan says:

hi.. my daughter gave me sa set of sat dish, 3 LNB’s, 3 recievers which were all purchased in Saudi Arabia. I tried to install them in Manila Philippines following all instructions from UKSatellitehelp.com. None of them worked. Are LNB’s and recievers regional or country-wise only? By the way, 2 of the recievers are DANSAT and the other is GIGAMAX, all made in China. H E L P !!!!!

Dan: A dish is a dish and should receive the signals.
    I suppose there could be an issue if you do not have the correct LNB for the signals you area tying to receive…Ku Band or C Band.
    Obviously you will only be able to receive signal from the satellites that service the area. As this is a UK SAtellite help site, you WILL NOT get the UK TV channels down their in Manilla, as the UK TV satellite footprints will not reach there (which satellite are you trying to get – perhaps check on lyngsat.com for the frequencies)

39. Dan says:

thanks for the fast reply…my LNB does not have any spec as to it being for a C or Ku band. The label contains only the brand, the I/P of 10.7 – 12.75Ghz; O>P> is 950 – 2150Mhz. And it is a universal single LNB TS-11HD made for Tokyosat Korea. I was trying to recieve any of the following: Koreasat3 at 116E, Koreasat 5 at 113E, Telstar 18 at138E, and Agila 2 at 146E.
    My coordinates are lat.14.614 and long. 121.001E
    May I add that the complete set of dish, LNB, and reciever were perfectly working when they were still being used in Saudi Arabia ( wish the info could help)

Well if everything was working OK before then you will need to check the obvious: are the cables connected well, are you actually aligning the dish to the correct satellites that you want? And are the satellites you want actually receieveable on your size satellite dish in your location? Easy mistakes to make.

41. Get free-to-air HD Satellite TV for under £100 « DIY Media Home says:

[…] correct satellite cluster. There is a very helpful satellite dish alignment calculator provided at UK Satellite Help CT100, diy, freesat, hd, […]

42. donald kirkbride says:

Just checked the satellite dish alignment map for setting up a satellite dish and according to the satellite picture the dish has to be installed in the middle of the road outside my house
    total nonesense all satellite dishes on neighbours houses are pointing towards the relay transmitter at south road cupar
    my post code is ky15 5en house number 1 if anyone want to check the satellite picture for me and explain why it shows the dish being sited where it says to site it in the photo
    iam trying to do a self install so any help would be much appreciated

43. Gary David says:

This is the greatest Web site for RV people!! If we’re going to the boondocks, I just get the settings before we go, otherwise just do the wi-fi thing when we get there and get the settings. People are amazed when I put up my portable antenna and I’m within a couple of points on the first shot. I also have the roof mounted King-Dome system and with that all I do is rotate to the numbers from your site and there I am!
    For other RV’ers, I keep a log of the numbers for each place we stop so if we stop there again, or are even close, we’re good to go!
    Thank you!!!!!

44. john webster says:

brilliant tool really helped

45. Parsi says:

Hi! Tx for this wonderful site. I live in Cairo, Egypt and this is my first satellite here. I wish to install it myself. Where I can find the step-by-step instructions on how to allign the dish. I am a healt professional so please let me know in simple non technical language!

Thanks.
    Parsi

46. Rolf says:

Hi. According to your calculation, my LNB scew suppose to be -1.1 degree which is to the right. I am in Australia. Is there a graph or chart to tell us where the degrees are?

47. Clive Sawers says:

Thanks, that was great. It was the skew that we got wrong finding only V polarised transmissions. Your finder sorted it all out – Great!