The BBC have today confirmed that their TV and radio channels currently on Astra 1N will move to Astra 2E  in “summer 2013” .

read their blog here: bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/posts/Changes-to-BBC-Satellite-transponders-in-2013

This move of BBC services from 1N to their new permanent on 2E will have no impact on UK households. In fact some UK households should get a slightly stronger signal.

However, until Astra 2E is operational, what the reception of these BBC services will be like in other “non uk” areas, will remain to be seen.

This may also suggest that the other channels on Astra 1N, ITV1,2,3,4, C4 will also be moving at the same time.

16 Responses to “BBC Channel to move from 1N to 2E in “summer 2013””

1. Martyn says:

As an ex-pat depending on Freesat at the moment I’m getting the impression that my box wil be useless sooner or later. This being the case then by subscribing to Sky would this enable me to re-gain the terrestrial channels I would like to watch or is Sky and ALL their channels (inc sports) about to disappear as well?

Channels you can receive on your freesat box will depend on where you are and what sized dish you have.
    It maymean that your current dish may be too small to receive the channels when they move tot heir new satellite, so you simply need to upgrade.

The main terrestrial channels use the same frequencies and satelites, no matter if you use a Sky box, a Freesta box, or an “off the shelf” box – so no, subscribing to Sky will not “enable me to re-gain the terrestrial channels”.

The changes from old to new satellite will affect the terrestrials as well as Sky channels. It may be the majority of Sky channels aere not on the same “beam” as the terrestrial, so their reception may remain the same.

3. Martyn says:

Sorry for my omission – my location is the Algarve in Portugal.
    The local gossip from ‘experts’ is that potentially we could lose ALL of the english channels previously received and the size of the dish doesn’t matter – mine was bought last year and it’s around 1.5 to 2m so that seems to have been a waste of money.
    What I really don’t get is who / what decides the strength of the beam / footprint.
    Also – if terrestrial TV disappears does it automatically follow that eventually the sky TV channels will also go with no other option (other than Internet) to receive?

Martyn : these satellite changes and potential change in reception has been known about for at least 18 months.

The footprint will be decidewd by Astra, actuing uponthe requirements from their clients – who may want uk beams or pan european beams – based on their content, encryption, and contracts with content providers.

Channel reception will depend on which beam they are on, your location, and dish size. As some channels will be on the “pan european” beams, these will not be lost.

5. Susan says:

All of us on Costa Brava have been unable to receive any of the channel 5 channels for about a week. This is regardless of whether we are Sky subscriber, freesat users, or free to air watchers. Last night channel 4-7 disappeared too. They are still there on the listings, but give the “no satellite signal isbeing received” message when you try to access them.

6. Clive Girona says:

You should be able to get Channel five if you have Sky HD

Susan: you will have lost 4seven on the same day as you lost the “Fives” and some ITV1 and ITV1+1 regions – they all move to the new satellite at the same time.

C5HD is available with a sky card – either a non subscription “freesatfromsky” card or a subscription card – but for a while there have been rumours that it will try and get out of this sa soon as it can, and go free to air – and then its all guess work as to which satellite and which beam it will move to – presumably a UK beam like the rest of the C5 channels , so it may only be a short term gain for some.

8. pedro says:

I don’t know, maybe my dish is not aligned properly, but I’d like to know if the footprint of the 2F or (if it’s known) the new 2E (not operational until next year) are the same as the old 2D. I’m saying this because I used to receive Astra 2d (not very good), but not the new 2F. I really don’t care any more about the main uk channels as I really prefer to listen to the radio. And I can listen online nearly every program at any time (for 7 days), which is a great thing.
    I don’t know about you guys, but I really find more interesting all these new changes in frequencies and satellites than being able to receive them.

pedro : The new satellites footprint differs to 2D, especially in “fringe reception areas”. That is why many people in south Spain have lost channels on their current dishes, which used to receive 2D fine.

10. pedro says:

Oh well, in that case I really feel sorry for all the british expats in my country that can no longer receive the main channels, (I understand the copyright issues and all that), but people living in France and Germany, for example, won’t have any problems.
    And please, for crying out loud, don’t pack and go back to Britain because of this!!!
    In my case, I’m perfectly happy just being able to receive the Eutelsat 28.5, so I hope this won’t change, but I can imagine all the british friends hooked on the main british soaps having a hard time.

11. pedro says:

“can no longer receive”, I meant from summer next year obviously.

12. yorkie says:

Hi Guys I am back watching tv again after one week. We had to have a new LNB fitted. Only problem is we seem to have lost Sky news Channel 4 HD and gained Euro news. Has anyone in Turkey or Cyprus had the same problem.

There have been no changes to Sky News, so there is no reason why you have lost this channel. it is still on freq 12207, on the “expat friendly south beam”

Recent satellite changes have only affected C4HD, some ITV1 and +1 regions, and “The channel fives”.

14. pedro says:

Astra 2G will be launched on 2014 and will also have two beams (uk beam and Pan European beam ), do you know what type of channels are going to transmit on this satellite? Could some channels of the 2F and 2E satellites be moved on the Astra 2G in 2014 or afterwards?

pedro: if I knew I would be buying lottery tickets each week!!
    2G will be both FTA and Sky. It may have some of the channels from Eutelsat 28A (Eurobird) if the agreement about Astra getting the Eutelsat frequencies is correct.

Even on the old satellites, channels chopped and changed frequencies, beams and satellites.

But maybe if 2Gs UK beam is found to be tighter than 2Es or 2Fs then perhaps the channels may move onto there, if it carrries the relevant frequencies.

So anything is possible i suppose.

16. pedro says:

Thank you for your answer. I knew it was difficult to know the answer to my question. Time will tell.